 CAD / MLCad / 826
Re: Automatic part selection query
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:18:40 GMT

"Michael Lachmann" <michael.lachmann@maxmobil.at> wrote in message
news:G9ty1F.CpH@lugnet.com...

Regarding the selection, MLCad uses a special buffer which keeps track of
the parts visible on the screen. For all other parts I would have to go
through the list of triangles, lines and quads until I find something in • the
rectangle. This can take a long time since you have to check for each • point
on the screen within the rectangle, and some bigger models quickly can • have
millions of triangles ...

OK, I guess it could be more complicated than I thought - on my Mechanical
Engineering degree course I took CAD and Solid Geometry Modelling as a final
year option and I've just found the book my lecturer wrote on geometry in
computing, maybe I can find some sort of shortcut, but I guess you've looked
into all of this before.

Why don't you use the mpd mode of MLCad. You can define the sections of a
model in a sub-model and use them in the main-model. Clicking on the
sub-model will automatically select all parts of it (as with any normal
brick).

I already do - I'm trying to manipulate part of a wing that's part of an
MPD, but you can only go so far with submodels before you hit this problem
anyway.

I made a mistake when releasing the last bug-fix - it doesn't have a
different version number or anything. The only thing I can say is that I
corrected such a bug and released the bug-fix on my web-page.

OK, I'll download the exe again. How is v2 going? I guess you don't have
much time to spend on this what with the baby and the upheaval that's bound
to be causing.

- Whats about my original question????

Both ideas are pretty cool, esp. the select all parts by colour (please
don't say you were only going to do colour selection only based on equal
parts!) - then I could mark all parts in an area during development as being
one colour and not have to worry about bounding box selection not getting
all parts, I could just select all green/red/blue/etc parts in the submodel
I'm working on and sort out the real colouring later. Not sure how useful
selection of all parts the same would be though, I rarely need to select
parts based on the part number, unless I need to change all of them for a
different part (so long as it's the same size and the origin/rotation are
the same it) which could be useful for duplicating large areas of bricks and
doing a part swap ... in fact I can already see uses for it.

Dan