 CAD / MLCad / 724
Re: Newbie help request.... rotation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:00:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Derick Bulkley writes:
My first foray into MLCAD seems to have been ill-chosen for its' difficulty
- I would very much appreciate it if anyone can help.

The dat file in question is here:

http://www.derick.com/boom.dat

Issue:
The model is a short length of reinforced bridge span, in one dimension,
that employs 16L technic links as cross-bars to maintain tension and thus
give the structure its' strength.

The 16L link runs for 13 studs, and drops 7 2/3 studs. This is a workable
configuration, although somewhat tense, used extensively here:

http://www.derick.com/lego/eb/crane/action.htm

As you can see by the dat file, I have been unable to adjust the rotation of
the 16L links to meet the lower set of Technic friction connectors.

Hi Derick,

I'll try to explain how I go about doing that kind of work. I recently build
the 8880 which needed a lot of angle adjustements.

First step:

Open a new file - set the grid mode to coarse. Now let's say the beam of your
crane is 8 studs wide; what I do is I put a 1x8 brick in the bottom left corner
(top view)- coordinate should read (0,0,0)(this brick will eventually be
deleted before saving). Now you pick the beam you need to rotate - let's say
1x10 technic beam and you put one perpendicularly on each side of the first
1x8. Some adjustment are now necessary: (1) one end of the perpendicular beams
sould finish almost where the 1x8 lies (2) now move those beams one half stud
to the front (from the top view) - this will bring the first hole of the
technic beam at the exact coordinate (X,0,0) (3) delete the initial 1x8. You
now have two parallel beams with the first hole exactly at the origin on the
z-axis. Save that file. When you go to your master file you load that part and
you go in setting and set the fine rotation angle at 1 degree. The rotation of
this part will be around the first hole of the technic bricks (both side done
at the same time since you have parallel beam) you rotate them until the hole
at the other end match the technic pin. When you are close to the pin, set the
rotation angle to 0,25 degree - fine tune. You will see that most of the exact
angles in the technic world finish by .5 (example 58.5, 71.5)

I'll try a graphic representation (top view)

|o|            |o|
|o|            |o|
|o|            |o|
|o|            |o|

As you can see the horizontal beam (that will be deleted) is in line with the
first hole (holes are in between each stud) of the parallel beams.

Hope this help.

Eric.