 CAD / MLCad / 668
Re: Custom Built LEGO Sets in 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 06:56:05 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
G58nLA.K79@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Seriously I don't know that any sort of market survey has been taken • but I
think MLCad has a lot of adherents. It's pretty well supported by the
author. Feature rich, graphical, easy to use (except for the helps • which are
broken, unfortunately) and fast.

The online-help is a thing to be improved - thats for sure. After I release
version 2.0 this will be the next item.

For free software MLCad is great.  I used it to create a set.
However, in my experience the output was of horrible quality.
Even though I used the highest resolution, it lost most of the
horizontal lines between layers of bricks, and I spent lots of time
in a paint program drawing lines back in.

I noticed this myself, but it seems that I have problems with the exactness
of the drawing. Somewhere is a rounding problem or so which causes this
effects. I will have a look at that again.

I don't have as much of a problem with that, but it's not as high quality • as
I'd like.

Long term I think the ability to plug in different render engines is in
plan. I do see this as a bit of a problem and would be interested in the
opinions of others as to what the best render engine to use is when the • goal
is to make printable instructions. I would continue to use MLCad to design
but use something else to make final renders.

there is another discussion regarding plug-ins already going. I will try to
find a generic concept which allows to use plugins in MLCad and release a
specification for that later.

Also, I got zero (0) responses
to my question in lugnet.cad.mlcad, which didn't improve my
confidence in getting support.

Try asking again would be my suggestion... as with all of us, I'm sure ML
goes through phases where he's pretty busy and phases where he's not.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I'm pretty busy in my company - than I do not have
the time to turn on my computer at home - sometimes I happy to NOT turn it
on .... that is when you do not get any response.
Sorry for that!

Michael