 CAD / MLCad / 1694
Re: Feature Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:05:40 GMT

Hi Tim,

would it be enough to have some sort of extra window opened on request and
showing the tree of an individual selected part or mpd?
Otherwice I guess the window would be overloaded and most of my users
wouldn't have any benefit out of this feature. Don't get me wrong I find it
a realy good idea, so I'm going to take care about that in the next release
as well ...

Michael

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have another MLCad feature suggestion - what about a tree view of all
of a model's dependencies?

It would be nice to be able to toggle on/off views of parts and
primitives (and submodels for completeness). I'm sure it will be useful
for part authors, but I'm thinking of this from a builder perspective.
*Actually,* I'm thinking of it from the point of view of deciphering
someone else's MPD file to make building instructions from it.

I'm working on creating instructions for a model right now and I didn't
have a clear understanding of the dependencies, so I moved some parts
around between submodels, got to a later sub-model and realized what I
scewed up. Good thing I kept a copy of the original - it's only costing
me some extra time in hacking the raw LDraw file, but still I could have
had it more planned out from the beginning. A nice view like this would
save time, and allow someone to gain a good understanding of a model
they didn't create.

-Tim