 CAD / MLCad / 1328
1327  |  1329
Subject:
ldraw programs for PDAs? (was MLCAD for PALM)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:12:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Travis Cobbs writes:
Well, the parts library all by itself is 21.1 megs (at least the one I have
is).  While this will technically fit on a 64 meg device (and maybe even on
a 32 meg device), I doubt too many people would want to devote such a large
percentage of their available memory to it.  A viewer could presumably be
made that would be capable of loading the parts from a memory card, but this
might take a lot of work (then again, it might not; I have no idea).

I think you could make a big dent in that one by keeping the library in
a jar or zip file and using popen() with unzip.

I think the biggest problem, though, is the fact that a vast majority of all
Pocket PC devices have a 240x320 screen resolution.
The ledit-based editing functionality in LDGLite might work better; I
haven't used it, but I assume it doesn't require much screen real estate.

I've actually used it at that resolution for small models and to look
at parts.  I think the pyramid picture on the ldglite website gives you
some idea of what you'll see.

On the other hand, it would probably be feasible to port a Windows-based DAT
VIEWER to PocketPC devices.  A port of something like L3Lab might even be
fairly straightforward (assuming you get rid of the tool bar and optimize
the interface for small size).  With something like L3Lab, it could probably
even qualify as more a port than a rewrite from scratch.  Mind you, I have
no idea what the performance would be like.  But for MLCAD, it seems to me
that there's just too big of a difference between the environments for a
"port" to be feasible.

p.s. Unless somebody knows about an OpenGL driver for PocketPC, my own
LDView app won't be able to be ported.

There's something called pocketgl for the PocketpPC, and perhaps tinygl
could be convinced to work.  I've actually built the DOS version of
tinygl in an attempt to slim down the DOS port of ldglite.  Actually I
think there may also be something called tinygl for Palm PDAs.

Don

FUT set to lugnet.cad.dev