 CAD / MLCad / 1325
Re: How is this created?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:59:09 GMT

"Bob Hayes" <bobhayes1@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GwGrqK.H3y@lugnet.com...
I would suggest that you buy Jin Sato's book -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1886411565/lugnet/103-0048360-6298257
- he has a chapter explaining how he makes instructions.  There is lots of
other stuff, it is a good book.

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Dave Astolfo writes:
Hi,

I was looking at Jin Sato's website and found a listing of building
instructions for some of his models. The link:

http://207.236.16.161/JinSato/MindStorms/mtr/MTR-024/index.html

I have just started learning MLCAD and was wondering if it could be used • to
create the building instructions like the ones on Jin's page? If not, any
ideas on how it was done. Tried to contact Jim, but could not find an • email
address.

Thanks,

Dave

I'm working on a constructopedia type book for Syngress Publishing, and
realized that we needed tools to automate the process of translating DAT
files to publishing materials.  I created a tool called LPub, which takes in
a DAT file, creates DATs for each step, feeds them to L3P and then POV RAY.
LPub modifies the .POV files output by L3P to "grey-out" parts from all but
the last step ala MLCAD.

It also creates part list images for each step, ala Constructopedias.

Right now LPub is somewhat specific to the book that we're working on, in
that it is has an part image database that only contains parts for the Dark
Side Developer Kit.  I'm rapidly working on generalizing LPub to be LEGO set
independent.

I think that the first release will not have support for flexible parts
because they are a pain, but otherwise it should work fine.

I created an example output from LPub here:

  http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/DSDK_Waddler/all_table.html.

The table format used there is how we communicate things to Syngress.  I'm
intersted in hearing ideas for other formats, as I want to use a different
format for construction step web pages.

To create the above example, all I did was do three things in LPub:

  1.  Open the DAT of interest using menu
  2.  Use menu to make it create all the images
  3.  Use menu to make the table.

All the image generation is automatic.  LPub supports user defined parts
(DATs that call out other DATs I create.  I make up the arms, legs and
bodies of my bipeds in different DATs and then use one DAT to hook them all
together.

I plan on getting things more generalized and then releasing it to the LEGO
community within the next few months.

kevin_clague@yahoo.com