 CAD / MLCad / 1298
Re: How is this created?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 15:41:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Dave Astolfo writes:
Hi,

I was looking at Jin Sato's website and found a listing of building
instructions for some of his models. The link:

http://207.236.16.161/JinSato/MindStorms/mtr/MTR-024/index.html

I have just started learning MLCAD and was wondering if it could be used to
create the building instructions like the ones on Jin's page? If not, any
ideas on how it was done. Tried to contact Jim, but could not find an email
address.

Thanks,

Dave

I don't think THOSE building instructions are ALL that.  The 'cartoon'
version that MegaPOV produces is MUCH better at allowing you to see the
different pieces that are being added to the model in each step.

See any of by building instructions for what I mean:
http://www.ozbricks.com/jediagh/a_Downloads/BI/Download_BI.htm

Note that the qualtify of the PDF file is NOT better than the images he has
but the original files are in powerpoint andthe quality is much miuch
better.  I've designed my building instructions for printing (from kinkos)
but for my website I've opted fro pdf files.

In a nutshell here is a way that was taught to me by another LUGNET member.
NOTE: YOU WILL NEED LOTS OF TIMES, PATIENTS, and MORE PATIENTS...

1) Create the model in LDRAW (put STEPS where you forsee having them)
2) Convert the .ldr file (LDRAW) to a .pov (Pov-ray file) by using L3PAO/L3P
3) Open the .pov file in MEGA-POV (and insert some custom pre-defined code
that I have)
4) Render each step at a 1028x1024 image size (depening on the size of your
model you might need to double this for bigger models)
5) Create a template in powerpoint and begin inserting your models, cropping
along the way as needed and shrinking each image by about 25 - 75% depending
on the image, your layout, etc...

As you can see it will be the layout of the building instructions that will
get you.  Also if you want to show the individual parts that you will use
per step you will have to RENDER ALL THE PARTS INDIVIDUALLY!!!!  So you can
see that making building instructions is an 'ART' more than anything else.
YOU WILL SPEND LOTS and LOTS of time to get them to look as nice as LEGO's
offical parts.

-AHui