Re: LDraw CD-ROM Update/Funding and dealing with group funds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:31:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Greetings

Just to update everyone on the CD project:

Currently I have to do some work with the HTML guide, and pass off
some work for HTML reformatting of a couple resources to others while
I'm away for a few days.  A few programs need to be downloaded and
then the disc will be sent to someone to make install programs.

Incidentally a UK magazine PC-PLUS had a Setup Factory program on it's
ocverdisk this Month... Not sure if it was a full version...

If all goes well, we can have them pressed in time for Legoland, if there
are delays, we'll at least have a master by then.  I hope to have the
disc done in 3 weeks from now, of those 3 weeks, I'll be gone 11 days
and unable to work on it.

At lesat you honst about shiping dates!!! unlinke some other software
companies I coud mention...

We need to get funding for the pressing of the CDs.  I'm planning on
offering them for $10 US, and putting the extra money in an account
for ldraw.org-related expenses (such as the Kidvention, .datFest,
etc.)

With an appropriate price for the UK?  Bear in mind shipping can be
expensive and then there's all the ecentricites of HM Customs & Excise.

Genrally I see think that at $10US you are being extremly reasonable!!!

An equivlant commerical 3D cad system on the PC can easily cost $500 US and
that's just the basic system! Add in the cost of libraries and tools and the
cost can easily reach $5000 US.

During my recent college project I looked into Architectral CAD systems,
some of these have prices in the $10,000  US! range..

And these are CLOSED systems! You find a bug-you PAY to fix it!

I'm very glad that L-Draw,MLCAD etc are (freeware?) even if they are not all
open sourced..

Lego(R) Creator cost's about 35 pound sterling here in the UK and that is
possibly the price I would be willing to pay for an L-Draw CD when it is
released.

  I would like to ask for donations,
I believe the cost will be
between $1500-2000, depending on how many we get.  I have been told by
someone who works with pressing CDs regularly that with the deal they
give you on 1000 units its almost silly to get less.  What I'm
thinking right now is people who donate money to get it off the ground
can get their investment back from us when we make up our costs, plus
a complimentary copy of the disc.

Here's how we're going to sell these CDs:

- Legoland Kidvention (provided TLC gives permission) - if we can't
sell them there, we can advertise a website with the ordering feature.
- ldraw.org ordering (sorry no credit cards, but mail order)
- .datFest - slated for fall as of now

I can't see why TLG?TLC woudn't grant it. Unless it was to protect thier
investment in Creator...
Certainly if they allow you permisson you should let them have a few copies
gratis. (They might even start producing parts for it!-(Pigs might fly :-) )

You might also wish to look at a system called SoftCD.  This allows content
on a CD to be apparently modifed by small updates from the Intrenet stored
on  a local disk.

I have feeling that this would simplfy updates reuired to the L-Draw CD
considerably.

SoftCD has been featured in a UK computing title called PC Plus and I would
advise you to consult back issuse of that magazine for further information.

Alex