Subject:
LDraw CD-ROM Update/Funding and dealing with group funds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 02:02:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Greetings

Just to update everyone on the CD project:

Currently I have to do some work with the HTML guide, and pass off
some work for HTML reformatting of a couple resources to others while
I'm away for a few days.  A few programs need to be downloaded and
then the disc will be sent to someone to make install programs.  If
all goes well, we can have them pressed in time for Legoland, if there
are delays, we'll at least have a master by then.  I hope to have the
disc done in 3 weeks from now, of those 3 weeks, I'll be gone 11 days
and unable to work on it.

We need to get funding for the pressing of the CDs.  I'm planning on
offering them for $10 US, and putting the extra money in an account
for ldraw.org-related expenses (such as the Kidvention, .datFest,
etc.)  I would like to ask for donations, I believe the cost will be
between $1500-2000, depending on how many we get.  I have been told by
someone who works with pressing CDs regularly that with the deal they
give you on 1000 units its almost silly to get less.  What I'm
thinking right now is people who donate money to get it off the ground
can get their investment back from us when we make up our costs, plus
a complimentary copy of the disc.

Here's how we're going to sell these CDs:

- Legoland Kidvention (provided TLC gives permission) - if we can't
sell them there, we can advertise a website with the ordering feature.
- ldraw.org ordering (sorry no credit cards, but mail order)
- .datFest - slated for fall as of now

The Jessiman family is also asking for 50 units at cost, which we can
provide them with.

Also, we need to deal with how the extra funds will be handled.  Per
someone's suggestion, we can place them in an X account.  A committee
of 3-5 people should handle the distribution of them, after the group
as a whole knows what it will be used for and there are no serious
objections.  Does that sound good?  Does anyone want to nominate the
members of that committee?  Reply w/discussion - mind that I'll be
leaving tomorrow morning and will pick up Friday evening on it.

Reply w/comments..

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org