Re: LDraw DAT certification for clones?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Tim:

ldraw.org could maintain the official definition of the
LDraw DAT file format

We try to do that already.

In what way?  Is it on the FAQ?  Perhaps we could include some definitions
on some other part of the site.

Yes.

The FAQ contains something that is supposed to be a
description of the LDraw language. I don't know if people
consider it "official".

Question #20.  I don't about "official", but I have some other words to describe
it...

That article (question 20) is too large for the FAQ, and should be broken out as
a separate item/page on the website.

Also for easy testing of the different rendering features
(soon including the BFC extensions).

Since I haven't been following that thread (too technical for the likes of
me), are there going to be some pages put up on ldraw.org regarding that?

Yes. Some formal specifications, some example files, and
maybe even some programs for testing files.

Seems like the best way to go with this is to have "test scripts", DAT files
which compatible programs must be able to correctly process, along with examples
of correct processing.  In more advanced 'scripts', it might be necessary to
have multiple DATs, and to specify where they are stored.

Funny: in the paragraph above, when I say DAT, I mean "DAT or MPD".  But
usually, if I mean to include both MPD and DAT in a discussion, I'll say MPD.

Steve