Re: LDraw DAT certification for clones?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:51:38 GMT

At 10:19 AM 12/14/1999 , Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Todd (not admin@lugnet.com :-) wrote:

Say, has anyone considered LDraw DAT file certification
for clones?  (I don't mean clone brands of LEGO bricks, I
mean clone software of LDraw/LEdit/etc.)

Considered, yes. Done something, no.

I think its a good idea.

ldraw.org could maintain the official definition of the
LDraw DAT file format

We try to do that already.

In what way?  Is it on the FAQ?  Perhaps we could include some definitions
on some other part of the site.

I am not sure that the BP7 floating-point format exactly
matches the IEEE format, but I will look it up.

The only thing that's floating here is my brain. ;)

Also for easy testing of the different rendering features
(soon including the BFC extensions).

Since I haven't been following that thread (too technical for the likes of
me), are there going to be some pages put up on ldraw.org regarding that?

and inasmuch as certification doesn't mean a whole lot
from the "Hey, wow, it's certified!" wowie zowiee point of
view, I think may encourage more careful attention to
details and conventions.

That would be good.

I agree.

I'm really excited about what's happening now with new Windows .dat file
editors.  I use MLCad now, and love it myself.  But yes, as Todd has
brought up, there's a necessity to keep the standard and the quality that
the original contains, and insure full compatibility.

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

If you don't believe in Gosh, you'll go to Heck, where you'll face eternal
darnation.