Re: LDraw DAT certification for clones?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:19:15 GMT

Todd (not admin@lugnet.com :-) wrote:

Say, has anyone considered LDraw DAT file certification
for clones?  (I don't mean clone brands of LEGO bricks, I
mean clone software of LDraw/LEdit/etc.)

Considered, yes. Done something, no.

ldraw.org could maintain the official definition of the
LDraw DAT file format

We try to do that already.

and certify (or allow clone authors to self-certify their)
software packages which import or export LDraw DAT files.

How do we do that?

The definition could say things like:  a program which
writes LDraw DAT files -must- output LDU coordinates as
decimal integers or IEEE floating-point numbers, -may-
output these numbers to high precision, but -should- round
them to at most 2 significant digits past the decimal
point.

I am not sure that the BP7 floating-point format exactly
matches the IEEE format, but I will look it up.

And there could be a few sample files for regression
testing and that sort of thing.

Yes.

Also for easy testing of the different rendering features
(soon including the BFC extensions).

This way, packages like MLCad and LeoCAD (and clones like
LDLite) would have some sort of official working
definition of the file format,

Yes.

I have thought of using something like the l3p check feature
as an official file format testing tool.

and inasmuch as certification doesn't mean a whole lot
from the "Hey, wow, it's certified!" wowie zowiee point of
view, I think may encourage more careful attention to
details and conventions.

That would be good.

Play well,

Jacob