Re: LDraw DAT certification for clones?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 01:28:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Todd (not admin@lugnet.com :-) wrote:

The definition could say things like:  a program which
writes LDraw DAT files -must- output LDU coordinates as
decimal integers or IEEE floating-point numbers, -may-
output these numbers to high precision, but -should- round
them to at most 2 significant digits past the decimal
point.

I am not sure that the BP7 floating-point format exactly
matches the IEEE format, but I will look it up.

Borland Pascal, Borland C/C++, and Microsoft C/C++ all use the IEEE format
for floating point numbers (float, double and extended are all IEEE defined)
because these are the formats supported by the 80x87 line math coprocessors.
(Even though Pentiums no longer have a separate coprocessor chip, the math
processing is still done by a separate subsystem)

And if you mean for numbesr to be rounded, there should be a test against
truncation.  Truncation of decimal places causes nearly all known math
errors when using IEEE values because the IEEE format is inherently bad at
storing certain values.