Subject:
Backing up other people's web sites? (Was: Problems with Ldraw related sites)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:42:17 GMT

[ XFUT lugnet.publish ]

Manfred Moolhuysen:

[...]
But the the LDraw Parts Tracker is not working still.
[...]

This reminds me of the problems I run into now and then,
when websites I link to disappear (not saying that the LDraw
Parts Tracker is disappearing).

Should I offer people to keep a backup of their site in
exchange for an agreement that allows me to put the backup
up on my server if their own site for some reason goes
offline? The demands as to what should happen before I am
allowed to publish the backup should of cause be
sufficiently strict as to prevent me from misusing the
backup.

When I think we have a reasonable formulation of such an
agreement, I would also like others to back up (parts of) my
web site. - Just in case.

Here is what I can think of:

   ${BackupKeeper} is keeping an up to date copy, never more
   than ${BackupFrequency} days old, of the web site located
   at ${WebsiteURL} for ${WebsiteOwner}.

   In case ${BackupKeeper} has been unable to connect to the
   web site at ${WebsiteURL} for more than
   ${BackupFrequency} days, he/she is requested to publish
   his/her most recent copy, unchanged, except for changes
   to URLs that are necessary to make the copy work as the
   original site. ${BackupKeeper} should announce the URL of
   the published copy at ${AnnounceLocations}.

   When ${BackupKeeper} puts up his/her copy of the web site
   at ${WebsiteURL}, he/she should notify ${WebsiteOwner} at
   ${WebsiteOwnerEmail}, and if he/she doesn't get a reply
   within ${EmailResponseTime} days also by sending a letter
   to ${WebsiteOwnerPostalAddress}.

   ${WebsiteOwner} keeps the copyright to his/her work and
   can at any time cancel this agreement, and request
   ${BackupKeeper} to erase any of his/her copies of the web
   site located at ${WebsiteURL}.

   ${BackupKeeper} can be contacted at ${BackupKeeperEmail}
   or by mail at ${BackupKeeperPostalAddress}. The agreement
   is canceled if ${BackupKeeper} doesn't respond at any of
   these addresses.

What do you think? Would any of you join such an agreement?
I would use it as a tool to prevent dead links, both on my
own site, and (in case something terrible should happen to
my machine and my own backup) on other peoples' sites.

Play well,

Jacob

    --  E-mail:          sparre@cats.nbi.dk          --
    --  Web...:  <URL:http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/>  --