  Re: Forum shift

(...) It would be great if fans decided to overhaul all of the lugnet forums to a new format. (The current forum should be saved somewhere as an archive of past fan activity.) The PHPbb forum format seems to be the most widely used type across the (...) (14 years ago, 28-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I'm a strong opponent of the non-threaded BB style. (...) Agreed. (...) Thanks but I have the ability to add this to the site so it would be located at LDraw.org. -Orion (14 years ago, 28-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) But that doesn't have an NNTP port, does it? Or email digests? I find reading lugnet through a news reader (Outlook Express, XanaNews, whatever) is a much better experience than trying to read EuroBricks, for example. There's a much better (...) (14 years ago, 28-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) My main sticking point with NNTP is the authentication emails. They are annoying, very annoying but unavoidable due to the inherent spoofing problems with NNTP. -Orion (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) There's no f*#$ing reason for authentication emails. NNTP has a good and fine password authentication mechanism built in. Jacob (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) As of just a few days ago, I've been a LUGNET member for 10 years. In that time I've posted hundreds of messages, and I've never once had to use any kind of "authentication email." I'm not sure what you're doing wrong to get something like (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Does your username and password also work for a NNTP connection to Lugnet? (That would be new - but very helpful - to me.) Or are you talking about the web interface? Play well, Jacob (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I've never used the NNTP. When I click on it, I see the same messages that I see on LUGNET through a browser (including ones I've posted [through a browser interface]). Is there any kind of advantage to using the NNTP instead of the web (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I would have expected your browser to launch a general purpose NNTP client such as Gnus, Pan, Thunderbird or Outlook. (...) If the only newsgroups you read are those on Lugnet, then the only benefit to using a general purpose NNTP client would (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I used to use NNTP for Lugnet, and for several other groups as well, but I gave up using it for Lugnet long ago (soon after the auth emails were implemented I believe) and over the last couple of years, all the groups I used it for have moved (...) (14 years ago, 1-Nov-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) #1 This might seem like a good idea, but it is a hard thing to enforce. How do admins *know* what they're getting is a real name? Better that admins be active and enforce the rules by warning and banning posters, when appropriate. #2 I (...) (14 years ago, 1-Nov-10, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) (Keep in mind that I'm a very old fogey who has been using NNTP stuff for decades.) The advantage to me is that I don't have to use a web browser to do it. :-) I run my browser with Javascript turned off virtually all the time. So, I tend to (...) (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.general)