Re: Library Specifications for Canvas Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:14:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:

  • As the “Canvas” is only useful in the fold version like the design of the part, it should not be modifyable like stickers (colors).

Actually, I think it should use color 16 and 24 for the canvas portion. LDraw is partially about allowing people to build computer models of real world creations, but it’s also definitely about allowing them to build computer models that will never exist in real life. As such, I think people should have control over the color.

  • Also we do not need an unfold version (mostly useless).

I agree here.

  • Unpatterned versions are only necessary if there is also a real unpatterned version.

I could go either way on this. I’d definitely say that if an unpatterned version wasn’t too much extra work, it’s probably worth it, but that’s just me. I definitely wouldn’t call it necessary.

  • There should be a new category.

Yes. Officially, the first word of a part description is required to be one of the existing categories. The category list is maintained by the part tracker admins, though, not the LSC.

--Travis