Subject:
Parts Tracker Prototype Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:38:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is *not* the news all good LCAD-heads have been waiting for, but it is
a small step in the right direction.

For the past month, I've been working on a prototype for a new Parts
Tracker.  I've been busy, so developments have gone slowly.

Here's a quick review.  The goals for the new Parts Tracker are:

1. Automate all the functions of the current Part Tracker system.  The
current system is being manually handled by Tore (thank you, Tore!)
2. Provide automated support for a new peer-review process, to replace the
manual process of collecting, voting, revising, and releasing new parts.
3. Be entirely web-based, so everyone can get at it.

Tonight, I posted a prototype for the new Parts Tracker at
<http://www.geocities.com/partsref/tracker/index.html>.

The website is pretty basic, there's a download file which includes a
Windows executable, and the source code.  There's also a web-page of
screenshots from the prototype.

For as long as it's taken me to get to it, there's nothing really
earth-shattering about the prototype.  It implements the basic
necessary functions of requesting, submitting, and reviewing files.
It does not implement downloading unofficial files or accepting unofficial
files into the official library.

Besides downloading and releasing, some other things that
could/should be implemented in the prototype are:

1. Basic browser functions: back, forward, address entry.  These
aren't specific to the Parts Tracker, but they would be handy for
getting a better feeling of how to work with the Tracker.

2. Better/smarter file-review logic.  Right now, when a new file is
submitted, it's run through l3p -check.  Any errors or warnings are
reported, and the file is bounced.  Some checking should be performed
against the file header, and there should be a way to accept the
file, if there are minor issues.

I exchanged email with Lars awhile ago, about having a checking
program based on l3p -check, but with more advanced checks, mostly
requirements for meta-information formatting.

3. More parameters for requested parts.  Right now, users can only
enter part number and name.

4. On-the-fly rendering.  It would be nice if pictures of parts could
be displayed on pages that show information about the part.

Anyway, download it, try it out, let me know what you think.

Steve