Re: Parts Tracker Prototype Posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:59:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Hakan Tandogan wrote:

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> writes:

Besides downloading and releasing, some other things that
could/should be implemented in the prototype are:

I admit that I'm pretty VB-illiterate (hey, that mix of
GUI and bussiness logic always gives me headaches ;-)), but I
don't see how you will manage the upload/download part.

In the prototype?  It's just a simulation -- the submit/upload just copies
a file from somewhere on your hard drive to <prototypedir>/active/.  The
download would do the same thing, except in reverse.

Do you intend to "talk" to a central server?

In the prototype?  No.  It's a local-computer thing only.

The real Parts Tracker will be a server-based system, with a Web interface.
Assuming we want to locate Parts Tracker on the ldraw.org server, the front
end will have to be written in something that's Linux-friendly.  Probably
Perl.

I saw that
"check out" and "check in" part. Do you intend to implement your
own file locking scheme?

We'll only code it if we have to.

Seriously, there will be some data that will have high contention, if
stored in a single location -- like the user settings and part-requests
list.  But most data will be in separate files, and I don't expect too many
people to be working with same parts at the same time.  We'll need to be
aware of file-locking issues, of course.  But there shouldn't be major
amounts of collisions.

Perhaps just using a central CVS server
would be a nice solution since the part files are just text and
the CVS team has a good solution for the network communication part.

I've gotten mixed messages about the utility of programming a custom
front-end against CVS.  I'm not familiar with CVS, just other source code
control tools like PVCS and Visual SourceSafe.

I don't know whether there are any libraries that you could use
from VB, but you could always call the binary to do that work
for you.

Right.

Anyway, download it, try it out, let me know what you think.

Trying it is a little bit hard on my Linux workstation ;-)
I'll have a look at it when I'm at home.

I look forward to hearing what your feedback.

BTW, in true prototype style, there are extremely few comments in the
source code.

Steve