 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 401
Re: New MAC Modeller for LDRAW FILES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:07:54 GMT

Wow even better feedback! Keep it comming

I'll discuss both versions - Cocoa and Carbon / Classic

Firstly Cocoa

Load times, I concur they are much slower (compared to the Carbon version),
especially a model of 800+ lines of code, at this stage I have no answer but
to me personally loading is only a small part of program operation.

I still have a hard time accepting that my two year
old powerbook is an "ealier" Mac.
Actually its not the age of the Machine but rather the graphic system, I
believe 8Mb is about the minimum for quartz extreme.

Additionally Travis has also given me some pointers which should will allow
me to clean up the rotation issues.

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/caboose_comparisson.htm

The Caboose is an excellent comparison of renderings (thanks Chris). One
thing of note is how OpenGL Cocoa seems to be quite different to OpenGL
Carbon -look at some of the bricks in the wagon. I have now downloaded the
file and will look at it personally.

Carbon / Classic Version

The Cancel bug - It reappeared with the new memory routines - it has been
quashed - (thanks for finding it Chris)

Sorry, I haven't had time to do any testing. I beat up on LDV 0.4.0, so
much because I was using it for a project associated with my job. I'll
just avoid the cancel button.
I like objective criticism, keep it comming - bugs are there to be eliminated.

I don't think I made a "slow part selection" comment, did I? I do think
that I commented that when a black part was selected, the change in
appearance wasn't substantial enough to make it clear that the part had
been selected.

Part selection, Matt, you, I and well everybody seems to have an opinion
here. I believe that this might be best solved by making an option box on
how parts should be selected. To be fair this is actually one of the more
diffucult problems that I have faced since nothing I have tried so far has
been 100% satisfactory - especially when dealling with dark colours or
obscured bricks.

To try and solve this I included the notion of "Part visibility" (a common
trick of programs like AutoCAD), which then allows parts that obscure your
area of work to be temporarily "eliminated". My tests at home have been
quite successful with this option (especially with the multiple part
selection options allowing easy "removal" of multiple parts). However, the
model can look rather strange when parts are make invisible.

The future - -

Right now (ie tonight) the Carbon and Classic versions are my focus and to
be honest I want to raise them to alpha status.

To do so, the following features need to be added
- ability to handle "multiple model files" (in hand)
- mouse rotation of parts (started...expect completion tonight)*

What other basic features are necessary? Suggestions please.

Another possible feature is part browsing, but as yet I haven't wrapped my
head around how to do it elagantly.

At alpha I want to freeze the features and concentrate on, bugs, code
optimisation and user interface.

* I plan to allow mouse rotation around multiple axes so for example a
technic beam can be rotated around one of the pin holes - should be quite
useful.

Andrew...