 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 396
Re: New MAC Modeller for LDRAW FILES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:28:39 GMT

In article <HAqx3u.HAA@lugnet.com>,
"Matthew Gerber" <Matthew@BlockType.com> wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Andrew Allan writes:
For this release, I?m only interested in feedback as to whether Mac Lego
Modeller runs on other machines and how ? especially compared to Ldraw
Viewer (Carbon). Since documentation is limited, I only recommend existing
Mac Lego cad operators try this file.

Andrew,

Sorry to have missed this...you posted while BricksWest was going on! Shame
on you! 8?)

The app runs VERY well on my G4 Cube, 500Mhz, 512MB, MacOS 10.2.4...quick,
smooth OpenGL graphics, flawless rotation. Part selection could use some
other highlight method (IMO). Opening James' original car.dat from my copy
of the Mac LDraw folder gives me only about half of the parts, however.

HTH,

Matt

Hi,

  I gave Mac Lego Modeler a try on a PowerBook G3 FireWire (aka Pismo)
OS 10.2.4, 128 bit ATi RageMobility (something or other) w/8 MB VRAM. I
loaded a few small models and then my caboose.

The caboose looks very similar to the one that Ldraw Viewer (Carbon)
draws. You can see the comparisson here

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/caboose_comparisson.htm

Rotation of a wee little model is just fine in Mac Lego Modeler, but
rotation of the caboose is painful. I know my computer isn't a speed
demon, but rotation of the caboose in LDV 0.4.2 is quick (so its not
me). Is this a Cocoa thing or a not yet optimized thing?

I assume that the "do you want to save the empty window that you just
closed" behavior will change as development proceeds. (I never know
about what I should comment when commenting on prerelease software).

On a slightly related note. I wonder if you might want to reconsider the
name Mac LEGO Modeler. LEGO has a habit of writing people letters once a
project becomes popular enough to pop up on LEGO's radar. I think it is
a fine name, but I would hate to see you get the dreaded letter from
LEGO once MLM has become popular.

On a unrelated note, the "How dare you cancel my open file dialogue box.
I think I'll crash just to spite you for that :)" behavior has returned
in LDV 0.4.2. Or is it because I have upped to 10.2.4. I don't know
because I stupidly already trashed LDV 0.4.0.

Thanks for your continued efforts!

Sincerely,
Chris