 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 400
Re: New MAC Modeller for LDRAW FILES
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 05:30:29 GMT

In article <HAtJ2q.Gup@lugnet.com>,
"Andrew Allan" <aallan@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys,

It’s good to see that the program does run – and no reported crashes?

I will answer some of the comments first,

Rendering – How fast is the rendering relative to the Carbon Version? My
observations are as follows; on my development machine (Dual 1GHz MDD,
OS10.2.3, 512k) the actual drawing time seems to be faster than that of
Ldraw Viewer 0.4.2. I guess the hardware accelerated graphics of Quartz
Extreme is working. But I do have a problem, as yet when rendering, I have
not been able to accurately measure the rendering time as, the OS seems to
send the info to the graphics card and then return directly to program
operation. As yet I have not been able to get the graphic card to tell the
program when it has completed rendering (thus offering very little useable
feedback information for my timers), this make the rotation less smooth than
the Carbon Version.

Measuring load and display times using the menu bar clock. To load and
display the dat for my caboose took 15 seconds in MLM and 3 seconds to
load and display the dat in LDV 0.4.2.

Chris – Rendering, it’s a bit of both, actually I’ve optimised the Cocoa
version more than the Carbon version, however, the optimisation is more than
offset by Objective-C which places massive overhead on the system (I guess
this is the price of more flexibility). For this reason, I did indicate that
I believe that earlier Macs might be better sticking to the Carbon Version.
I will however continue to work in this area, as there are some compiler
settings that might affect this performance for the better.

I know it is, but I still have a hard time accepting that my two year
old powerbook is an "ealier" Mac. Also, the difference in performance is
extreme. Rotation in LDV 0.4.2 is _fast_. I mean _fast_. Rotation (of my
caboose) in MLM 0.1 is _slow_.

I noticed something strange that might explain why rotation is so slow
for my. I loaded a small dat for my Mini which you can find here

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/caboose_comparisson.htm

and as I rotated the model, my computer kept trying to redraw it, even
though I hadn't stopped rotating it. A ghost image of the whole model
would flicker as the Mini was rotated. I just noticed that the caboose
is doing the same thing. It is flickering as I rotate it.

Chris - The name, you’re right. Using the Lego word is likely to provoke a
reaction one day so I should change it – any suggestions?

If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Ldraw Viewer 0.4.2; the re-appearance of the Cancel bug. Chris, I’ll look
into it, I haven’t tested for this bug in the last release because I haven’t
altered that code since I originally corrected the bug (NB neither have I
mounted 10.2.4 on my system). How is the program other wise? As indicated in
the release notes, the memory handling has been completely rewritten – has
this solved the unexplained crashing during operation.

Sorry, I haven't had time to do any testing. I beat up on LDV 0.4.0, so
much because I was using it for a project associated with my job. I'll
just avoid the cancel button.

Chris, also in response to your observations of slow part selection, I
completely revamped the part selection and visibility options, have you
found these to be a benefit?

I don't think I made a "slow part selection" comment, did I? I do think
that I commented that when a black part was selected, the change in
appearance wasn't substantial enough to make it clear that the part had
been selected.

Andrew…

Chris