 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 385
Re: LDRAW Viewer 0.4 problem and more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:52:13 GMT

In article <H8I1A8.568@lugnet.com>,
"Andrew Allan" <aallan@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Did I overlook a known bug list? If I did I'll read through it before
reporting any other problems. I am not trying to be pushy, I am just
offereing the only service that I can offer, guinea pig :) Keep building
and I'll keep poking.

Chris

Actually I never reported this bug, only just experienced it too. Keep
poking...

On other news my Cocoa version is now displaying models on the screen - I
spent 4 days with frustrating crashes. Are there any more issues with
verision 0.4 that need addressing or should I keep plugging away in Cocoa.

Andrew...

OK, up to now I have been working with very small models, but last night
I decided to add some track under one of my engines (I am into trains if
you didn't know). Selecting bricks on a large model (ca. 800 bricks) is
slow (very slow). So, slow that I gave up.

Does the Cocoa version render bricks without those weird color effects?

Hmm, should you keep working on 0.4? I don't know. Honestly, since GLUT
was fixed by Apple I'll will probably switch back to LDGLite until the
double clickable apps catch up. Despite its un-Mac-ness, LDGLite is
still the most capable model builder out there.

For OS 9 users (my other Mac is a PowerBook 1400) I would say continue
developing 0.4. Truthfully, any way that gets you to a good LDraw viewer
and editor is fine with me. The Mac world needs an easy to use double
clickable ldraw editor that looks as good and works as well as LDGLite.

I was using LDraw Viewer to do a project for work (believe it or not). I
teach chemistry, and I work at a college that prepares teachers to go
out and teach chemistry (among other things). I came up with a model for
chemical bonding using LEGO bricks. In cooperation with one of the
professors who specializes in education (I am more a content guy than a
how to teach the content guy), I want to find out if the model is a good
learning tool, so I needed to create some directions. That is why I was
using LDraw Viewer so much. Now, I'll have to go back to my regular
work. I'll keep poking LDraw Viewer, but problably not as much as I
poked it over the last few days.

By the way, if we publish our findings about the model in a journal (or
on the web), you won't be forgotten. Your name has been added to the
acknowledgement section.

Thanks,
Chris