 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 372
Re: LDRAW Viewer 0.4 problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:32:13 GMT

Christopher,

your new bug,

select part
select ³Change Part Name...²
look up part number elsewhere
accidentally click in LDRAW Viewer window off of brick when returning to
LDRAW Viewer (deselect brick)
enter part number anyway
click enter
crash

actually I have also encountered this one, but as yet have been too lazy to
do anything about it. I believe it only affects the carbon version and
according to the Apple technical litereature there is an alternative carbon
way to handle dialog boxes which prevents interacting with other parts of
the program while the dialog is active.

Additionaly, I also plan to try to improve the desyronisation of the mouse
and the screen when selecting parts, by reverting to an OpenGL call to
correct the co-ordinate systems. Both could be released as a bug fix release
rather than a version revision. Additionally I intend to remap the 'Apple-R'
command to rotate part rather than rotate model as I hardly ever use this
function.

Ldraw Viewer Carbon and Classic have been on holiday over the christmas
break as I took the opportunity of the quiet period to try to learn Cocoa.
Right now I have a Cocoa version of Ldraw Viewer just and no more running,
improvements include the ability to open multiple models, unlimited file
lengthes etc.

Eventhough it is theoretically possible to compile C code under Objective C
I decided to convert Ldraw Viewer function by function and create a true
Objective C application. There are some fascinating possibilites in this
process as the Cocoa environment offers great possibilities for multiple
processors etc - but there seems to be quite alot of overhead ascociated
with the code so when the program is running more with more stability I
might be able to do more performance comparisons.

The bad news - learing Cocoa in isolation isn't easy and the program needs
lots of work, this has been to the detriment of the further development of
the Carbon and Classic versions in currently in circulation.

Andrew...