 CAD / Development / 8728
Re: Callout generation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:29:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
I decided to take a break from the extensibility issue and decided to tackle
something I've wanted to tackle for a while:  callout images for small
sub-assemblies.

This looks cool!

I'm thinking about putting the controls for callout image generation outside
of the DAT files, because simply changing callout format in a given DAT file
makes LPub run POV-Ray for all the steps in the file.  CALLOUT is merely
tiling together already computed images, so there should be no need to run
POV-Ray.

How about LPub reading from a 'callout.ldr' submodel in the MPD file, and
adding an option to say "compile callouts from previously generated images?"

For now, I decided to make callout generation a seperate pass of the model.
By disabling construction image generation, you can make changes to the
callout specifications in your DAT files, Generate -> Instruction Images,
and you won't run POV-Ray, but all your callouts will be recalculated (very
quickly).

I've gotten sub-model level identification stuff working, complete with
background color selection for a given level (0 is the top level model, 3 is
the lowest level you can go and get unique background color).  You also get
font dialog selection for step numbering in callouts for each sub-model level.

Right now callout format is controlled by providing a maximum width or
maximum height, and LPub figures out the rest.

I want to add another mechanism where you can list ranges of steps seperated
by row or column breaks.  LPub will then figure out the widest row or
column, and nicely pack eveything into that.

Should I release before I add that new format so people can play with what
I've got?

-Tim

Kevin