 CAD / Development / 8716
8715  |  8717
Subject:
Callout generation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:27:49 GMT

I decided to take a break from the extensibility issue and decided to tackle
something I've wanted to tackle for a while:  callout images for small
sub-assemblies.

These callout assemblies can be seen in LEGO building instructions here:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8868/8868-16.html

I've prototyped up a meta-command to create similar images:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/LPub/foot_co_row.jpg

The above image is columnar, and the one below is row oriented.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/LPub/foot_co.jpg

The meta-command:

LPUB CALLOUT BEGIN <row_margin> <row_seperator_width> <col_margin>
<col_seperator_width> (ROW_LIMIT | COL_LIMIT) <limit>

combined with

LPUB CALLOUT END

surrounding a sub-model part usage, gets you a tiled image like shown above.
The meaning of the parameters are as follows:

<row_margin> - buffers a step image from the left and right edge of the
callout image and vertical seperators.

<row_seperator_width> - lets you define how thick a horizontal line you
might draw between rows of steps.  A value of zero means no line.

<col_margin> - buffers a step image from the top and bottom edge of the
callout image and as well as the horizontal seperators.

<col_seperator_width> - lets you define how thick a vertical line you might
draw between columns of steps.  A value of zero means no line.

ROW_LIMIT <limit> - means you want to limit the vertical size of the image
to <limit> pixels, and the image grows horizontally as much as needed (this
is the kind of tiling that is used in the scanned image of a page from a
LEGO instruction book above.)

COL_LIMIT <limit> - means you want to limit the horizontal size of the image
to <limit> pixels.

Also LPub's part list image generation recognizes CALLOUT, and adds all the
parts added in the callout image to the current step's part list image
(rather than showing you a complete image of the sub-model).  This addresses
Jennifer Clark's request of:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8460/8460-015.html

Currently it doesn't support multi-level callout (the pink box shown in the
above scan), but I'll work on it.  I have to add sub-model level controls
before it will be meaningful.

I'm thinking about putting the controls for callout image generation outside
of the DAT files, because simply changing callout format in a given DAT file
makes LPub run POV-Ray for all the steps in the file.  CALLOUT is merely
tiling together already computed images, so there should be no need to run
POV-Ray.

Kevin