 CAD / Development / 8652
Re: Background color controls for constr and part list images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:19:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:

Jake, in http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8606 you said this:

Ability to modify settings per sub-model: It would be terrific to be able
to change preferences per submodel in a model. Reason: I sometimes need to
have different view angles on certain sub-models and not on others. Or
perhaps I want to change the background color on one submodel to be a
different color than another submodel (for use with assembly submodels). Or
I want to be able to select an option to include a submodel's parts in the
main BOM or not (for times when an instruction has alternative models). Or
if you wanted to have a sub-BOM for a submodel (still calculated in the • main
BOM, but broken out by submodel, not by step/submodel)

Wow... I was originally trying to get across a single basic concept using
multiple examples, but I guess it did turn into several directions!

Yup.

From this I extracted these requests:

1 sub-model specific view angles.  You already have this with ROTSTEP, • right?

Sure, that could be a simple way to do this. I had mentioned it as part of
this idea in case it made sense to also include this in the many options
(possible anyway, not what is implemented) associated with each sub-model

I'll assume this one is a non-issue as it already has a solution.

2 background color controls on a sub-model by sub-model basis, independent
of the sub-model level.  IMHO this means that you want meta-commands to set
these parameters.

I'm not sure about the META commands, but yes, the ability to choose these
independent of submodel level. Perhaps there is a default color scheme, or
suggest color scheme, based on level?

Yes.  This is what I'm proposing.

3 Alternative model BOM controls - Wouldn't alternative models be
implemented as different top level model files?

This speaks to Jennifer's suggestion. ("Alternative" was a bad choice of
words) Some submodels are almost models in themselves, while others are
simply a breakout of a main submodel. For instance, if you working on a
train car, and the trucks is a submodel. But in order to show a specific
construction technique of only part of the trucks, you break that
subconstruction into another sub model. Really the BOM should be included in
the trucks submodel, rather than being broken out on its own. Not really a
good way to do this except for human intervention.

4 submodel BOMs - I just implemented this as an option for either all
sub-models or none.

Makes sense, esp. if it can be combined with #3 above.

OK, back to the topic at hand. Number 2 is the one of interest.  Does
submodel depth specific controls for colors/styles (background colors, font
styles and colors) satisfy your desire for 2?

Meaning automated coloring based on submodel "depth level"? Yes and no. Yes,
it does help quite a bit, but the only problem is when you factor in #3
above.  Also, how does LPub determine level?

It opens the top level file which is considered level 0.  Top level file is
examined sub models.  Each submodel is opened, and they are considered to be at
level 1.  These files are examined for sub-models that are considered to be
level 3.  These files are examined for sub-models that are considered to be
level 4.......  In computer weenie terms, we recursively traverse the
model/sub-model tree, incrementing level each time we have to open a new file.

For consistancy across all building instructions and consistancy with LEGO's
style, I much perfer the using the level (or depth) as the determinant for
construction image background, part image background, part annotation font
(axle lengths and such), part count anotation font controls, instead of the
possibility for unique controls on a sub-model by sub-model basis.

Kevin

Kevin

Jake

---