 CAD / Development / 850
849  |  851
Subject:
LDraw/CAD links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:15:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
I'm just speaking for myself, but I think that this is because people
would rather see a site now with content than an professional-looking
one later that is easy to navigate.  In other words, there are few
reasons to give over the James Jessiman memorial, since it does the
job well.  [...]

I, too, enjoy the current JJM, but I often have difficulty remembering the
exact URL off the top of my head, and I tend to prefer fast-loading text-
based hierarchical layouts over layouts that use a lot of images (even small
ones).

If you are looking for something *now* that fits the bill of something
(a) very easy to navigate and (b) containing an organized list of LDraw
resources, point your browser here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/

This is something I've been working on as a background task.  It's not
finished, but you may find it useful.  I've been using it quite a bit during
its development, so I know it works well for at least one person.

Anyway, the URL shown above is not just a links area but is also the new URL
for the lugnet.cad newsgroup.  The old URL (still active) is somewhat of an
eyesore:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad

When you visit the new page, the most recent 5 articles in the group are
shown, along with a list of related links below it (there are 3 currently).
Near the top of the page in the light-blue band, there are currently 4
subcategories:

   DAT Files
   Development
   LDraw
   Ray-Tracing

The DAT Files and Development links take you to the new homepages for the
lugnet.cad.dat and lugnet.cad.dev newsgroups, respectively:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/      <==>  lugnet.cad
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/  <==>  lugnet.cad.dat
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/  <==>  lugnet.cad.dev

The other two links, LDraw and Ray-Tracing, are virtual categories in the
sense that they aren't newsgroup-homepages, but they exist for the purpose
of organizing links and other future related data.

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ray/

The LDraw category is further broken down into Parts and Tools categories:

   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/
   http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/tools/

The general idea here is to provide more useful contextual information to
people browsing the newsgroups via the web, as well as to give people more
meaningful (i.e., easier to remember and type) homepage URLs for the groups.

A byproduct of this reorganization is that www.lugnet.com becomes a portal
site for LEGO stuff.

Feel free to browse around up and down the tree to other categories, but
keep in mind that the interface is not 100% complete.  Most notably, the way
individual articles are displayed still needs work (reshuffling URLs
mostly), and I'll need to add a form for adding/suggesting new URLs.

The robotics area is another place where the newsgroup names map nicely into
the new URL system:

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/events/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/events/robot-arena/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/nqc/
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/pbforth/

and the Local Communities area is kind of fun to browse through too:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions on the look & feel of
the new paradigm, now's a good time to speak up -- while it's still baking
in the oven.

Oh, one other thing.  The issue was raised yesterday about a new newsgroup
for DUPLO and/or DUPLO Toolo fans:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:1193

Another byproduct of the new reorganization is that it leads (finally) to a
natural way of hosting user-groups in the "people" sense, where, as
discussed in the LUGNET "plan" document,

   http://www.lugnet.com/plan/

people will be able to associate themselves with a variety of special-
interest groups via links on webpages.  Many special-interest groups are
already available (like Trains and Star Wars and local geographic
communities) but a large portion of the LEGO product line has been left in
the dark.  If you're curious about special-interest groups for things like
Castle, Pirates, Technic, Fabuland, etc., check out the recent discussion in
lugnet.admin.general under the subject line "lugnet.duplo/toolo".

--Todd