 CAD / Development / 8441
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:05:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>
If we want to encourage other programmers to volunteer and write programs
for the LDraw system, what exists now needs to be clearly documented.

I think we need to put a lock on the creation of any new commands until we
can properly document the existing commands.  This will prevent the overlap
of functionality.

I agree.

I don't see how a lock is practical.  We don't even have an official
standards body yet.  I don't know how you would enforce it any way.

My goal in making the call was to document what is there, so that people:
a) don't produce name space collisions
b) don't reinvent the wheel
c) have examples of ways to create meta-commands
d) gain some philosophies for knowing how to create new meta-commands in the
future.
e) motivate people to look to the list and the community for guidance when
creating new meta-commands.

I've been truding through the list of search matches in CAD for
meta-command, and it has been very interesting reading.  We've already had
the creation of new meta-commands that are now depricated (e.g. BFC).  We've
also had at least one LDraw file format super-set created with ldlite.
We've also had some proposals for the successors to the LDraw file format
(they seem to have died though.)  This "call for meta-commands" is also not
the first attempt at a comprehensive list of meta-commands.

<snip>

Kevin