 CAD / Development / 8433
Re: Backwards Compatibility (Was Calling all Meta-commands)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:16:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>
If we want to encourage other programmers to volunteer and write programs
for the LDraw system, what exists now needs to be clearly documented.

I think we need to put a lock on the creation of any new commands until we
can properly document the existing commands.  This will prevent the overlap
of functionality.

I agree.

Establishing such a lock means however we need to move rather quickly on a
standards body. I know there are others like Steve and Larry who will want
to weigh in on this, but they're busy this weekend. I'm traveling up to
Steve's next weekend to work on some unrelated stuff with him, but also to
talk about further organization of LDraw.

I'd dump a lot of thoughts into this right now, but today I have errands to
run and I'm also going to visit the NILTC's small layout nearby. I know
Steve has some thoughts about how this should and shouldn't happen too. I'll
make the point that such a standards body needs to be authoritative, but
can't appear too bureaucratic to the average programmer. It should be set up
in such a way that encourages programmers to want their meta-commands
ratified and officially adopted, rather than discourages the process.

The standards body should also be focused and limited in scope to defining
and publishing the LDraw file format spec, nothing more. I would consider
the parts library and parts tracker a separate project, and the (albeit
loose) administration of the website another as well. More on that later
when I've had time to organize my thoughts :-) (Lar - anything to add on
this one?)

-Tim