 CAD / Development / 7539
Re: I have some ideas / suggestions for all programmers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert writes:
This is a good idea.

Except forcing the user to a specific dir isn't that user friendly. So I
think there should stay one tiny ini file in the application dir telling
where to find the rest or something :)

Ok well then we should all put the ini files in each program dir
as u said.

I seldom use the registry anyway because of the anti portability and
anti networking behavior of it. But it's handy for file associations and
stuff.

I hate it too, specially as it a technic of M$ to control the user's pc.

With 'dll' you mean third party stuff? DLL's you don't deliver with the
setup itself. Because self written DLL's are very handy at times (e.g.
program/language modules, plug ins).

My LD4DModeler forexample only needs the DirectX utils DLL of Project
Jedi, which is in the setup, nothing else (Delphi compiles selfcontained
Exe's by default).

Well some dll's like directX are ok and about delphi making an exe, well
O love delphi and is the only thing I use to program.

Roland

Eduardo wrote:

Hello to everyone,

I'm working a small tool similar to l3p addon but
it will be very simple, basic, won't need any dll
and won't use windows registry.
Well this post mainly is to say that I have a
suggestion / idea for all ldraw related software
that runs under windows my suggestion is:
Could all apps use only ini files or cfg files
instead of the registry and save all ini / cfg
files in lets say C:\lego\configs or in the users
My documents in desktop "NT/XP"?

And that way we could just backup the Lego dir
and all it's configs, models, videos, apps.

Oh and last thing try not to use dll like VB6

What about it?