 CAD / Development / 7540
Re: I have some ideas / suggestions for all programmers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Eduardo wrote:

Could all apps use only ini files or cfg files
instead of the registry and save all ini / cfg
files in lets say C:\lego\configs or in the users
My documents in desktop "NT/XP"?

I agree about using INI files instead of the registry, because it's
easier/safer to directly edit INI files.  And it's easier for other
programmers to figure out the information.

For sharing settings between programs, it makes sense (IMO) to let
Window's API functions decide where to store the INI file -- that way,
all programs can easily locate the file.

But I suppose we could discuss supporting/recommending some kind of
semi-official \ldraw\config directory, where the \config\ would be
appended to whatever's in the LDRAWDIR environment variable (or found in
ldraw.ini, under [LDraw]/BaseDirectory).

Oh and last thing try not to use dll like VB6

Ha.  There is no try.  You either use the VB runtime dlls, or you don't.
If you write a program in VB, you'll need the dlls--there is no option.

But I don't understand why that would be a problem for you?

Steve