 CAD / Development / 7160
Re: Digging up an old thread (was: The geometry of minifigs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:28:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:

Has there been any discussion regarding redoing the arm parts to more
accurately model the real thing?

I would *love* it if someone were to redo the arms and hand with higher
accuracy. :)

Note that it's probably not possible to make proper arms that are backwards
compatible because of the hand placement on the ends.  So we'd need to
assign new id numbers to the arms... right?  Either that or we break a few
thousand files.

It may be possible to use the existing hands, though, or at least have a new
hand part that is backwards compatible with the old hand.  I haven't looked
that closely at the hand itself- I don't know if the hand-to-wrist angle is
accurate or if the rotation center makes sense, which are my primary concerns.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

I have started working on an improved arm part - and agree this will need to
use a new number to aboid backward compatibility issues. I'll try and post
work-in-progress here when I have something worthy of comment.

Chris