 CAD / Development / 7148
7147  |  7149
Subject:
Digging up an old thread (was: The geometry of minifigs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:13:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Ok, thanks.  I understand.  It's not interesting for me (in this
setting) to know the angles and offsets of the _true_ minifig.  What
is of interest is the values that were used to _model_ the minifig.
This is because what I want to do is to pose the minifig LDraw parts
in various situations, and want to make sure that the parts connect
correctly to each other.  I'm sure other people have experienced a
similar problem before.

Considering the accuracy to which the torso and arm parts are modeled... is
it possible at all to do realistic poses (like an ABS minifig) without nasty
gaps and collisions?  I've had trouble doing this before, but only just
realized how bad it really is when I saw the official motorcycle rider
shortcut that has huge gaps.  I then tried again to get a fig to work
right... and decided it just can't be done.

Has there been any discussion regarding redoing the arm parts to more
accurately model the real thing?  I'm very interested in having arms with
reasonably accurate geometry and useful rotation centers.  The rotation
problem can be solved by putting the arms into subfiles.  This also solves
the problem with the non-axial plane along which the arm rotates.  But the
arm parts simply aren't shaped like the real things, and if you position
them where they aren't partly inside the torso then you have all kinds of
flaws- gaps around the torso shoulder holes, wide/high shoulders, and hands
that still collide with the torso and hips.

Are the arm part ID numbers taken from the arms somewhere, or are they
arbitrarily assigned?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com