 CAD / Development / 681
Re: MPD format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:20:33 GMT

That is all there is to it.
"0 FILE name.dat" starts a subfile.  The subfile ends when
end-of-file or another "0 FILE name.dat" line is reached.

By convention, tools like L3P and LDLite, when given an mpd
file, will render the first subfile.  The subfiles can reference
each other.

If you use an MPD file in a Type 1 line, your results will vary.
LDLite will (I think) finish drawing the top-level file, and then
start over drawing the first subfile of the last MPD file encountered.

I will be changing this.  In version 1.7, having a type-1 line that
specifies an MPD file will not draw anything, but just load all the
parts
into memory so they can be used later in the file.  This would allow you
to convert the PARTS directory to a single MPD file, and then specify
"1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 parts.dat" in your start-up file (1.7 will
have start-up files).  This approach wastes memory (and a little time)
for the convenience of maintaining sets of parts in an MPD
library-format.
The next step is to allow these MPD libraries (and .dat files in
general)
to be compressed.

-gyug

onyx wrote:

who is governing the specs on the MPD format???

i'm thinking of writing a quick little MPD merger/splitter VB app... (seems
whacky that we don't have one already)... and i just need to know the spec on
what MPD's entail...
all i can really see is the 0 FILE <filename> line...
if that's all there is then i can whip us up a merger/splitter to handle an
infinite number of .DAT files in no time...