 CAD / Development / 6637
Re: L3P user primitive substitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:16:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes: • [snip]
0 INCLUDE pov/coolpart.pov • [snap]
In general, that's an interesting thought.

But in this case, I don't think it's necessary - POV already has an include
statement (IIRC).

Well yes, but I wasn't just thinking about POV.  I thought that was
your point in changing the syntax.  The 0 INCLUDE meta-command could
be used to install custom colors much like the ldliterc.dat file.
I'm sure there are plenty of other non-POV uses, like say postscript?

Nod, right.  INCLUDE has been mentioned before, in other contexts, and
I'm generally in favor of it.  But I'd rather discuss that in a separate
thread - IF[N]DEF/ELSE/ENDIF wouldn't depend on INCLUDE.
(although, for official part files, INCLUDE is pretty useless, except
inside an IF[N]DEF).

Of course, allowing the use of such a statement raises another issue:
is it alright to distribute non-LDraw files with the LDraw parts library?

I don't see why not, but the point is that you wouldn't have to.
by pulling the non-LDRAW content out into separate files you can
do minimal, typical, and complete versions of the parts library
installation.

Different flavors of download/install files would be nice, but they
dodge the point: in at least some flavors, we'd be distributing
non-LDraw code.  It's not really a big issue, just me playing Devil's
Advocate.

Steve