 CAD / Development / 6638
Re: Various Questions . . .
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:39:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Sun Yun wrote:

Okay I'm new to the whole LDraw thing so bear with me.

That's ok.  We were all new once.

I'm trying to model one of my creations and I've discovered two of the parts
are not available.

That's not uncommon.  There are a lot of parts that are not made yet.

First of all, what is the process to get a part made?

For right now, you can make a request here.  Sooner or later, we'll have
a part-request system on the ldraw.org website, as a function of the
Parts Tracker.

Can I produce a part myself and what software package would I need to
produce it?

Yes, you can make your own part files.  You don't need any special
software.  I frequently use Notepad to edit part files.  Some people use
MLCAD, but that's too slow for me.  Spreadsheets can also be useful,
since LDraw files are mostly numbers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't read the LDraw FAQ, you should.  It's at
<http://www.ldraw.org/memorial/archive/FAQ/>.  Take a careful look at
questions 20 and 24.

p.s.  The two parts I need are the throwbot/bionicle ball socket and the
bionicle ball with axlehole.

Look at the Parts Tracker.  I think at least one of these parts has
already been modeled and submitted to the tracker.  See the list of
submitted parts at <http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/list.html>.

Steve