 CAD / Development / 6365
Re: BFC revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:19:42 GMT

I have printed the bfcspec file for review. Hopefully I will get a response
back to you.

I have been using BFC in most all my new parts for the last six months or so.
Please send me the BFC compliant primitives, so that I can be sure I am
using them correctly.

Correct me if I am wrong.  We cannot make the sloping cylinder primitves bfc
compliant since they can not be made to work on all orientations. (Except
for making a new set of them and updating all the parts that use them.)
Can reverse winding be used to correct this problem?

Paul Easter

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
I forgot to mention:  if anyone is interested in looking at the most-recent
version of the BFC proposal, it's still at:
<http://www.geocities.com/partsref/bfcspecv4.txt>.  The first screen of text
is meta-comments about the status of the proposal.  The actual proposal
starts at the line "LDraw Language Extension for Clipping".

Steve

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
There was never agreement on what the BFC standard should be.  So there
aren't very many parts that follow it in any way.

I do have a set of primitives that are BFC-compliant.  I didn't straighten
out all the primitives, but I did a number of them.  I can email them to
you, if you want.

Steve

In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams writes:
I'm looking for a model file that utilizes BFC-certified parts to test
backface culling in the CAD application I'm developing.

Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, only 13 part files have a BFC-related
comment, and on top of that, they're not consistently formatted:

30134   (0 BFC CERTIFY CW)
30156   (0 BFC NOCERTIFY)
30183   (0 BFC CERTIFY CW)
4107073 (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
4107488 (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
4107539 (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
4150p01 (0 BFC CERTIFY CW)
4523    (0 BFC NOCERTIFY)
553     (0 BFC CERTIFY CW)
73593   (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
9044    (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
9567    (0 CERTIFY BFC CW)
553s01  (0 BFC CERTIFY CW)

I had hoped that by now, at least the basic bricks would be BFC compliant,
since they are used more often than any other parts.

It would be neat if we could develop a standard set of DAT files for testing
Lego renderers.  These would be akin to the famous teapot model that was
used for the first general-purpose renderer.

-Gary