 CAD / Development / 6262
Re: Postscript converter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 07:16:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Jeroen:

I thought about doing that to, but converting 3D data in to 2D was a bit
above my head, so I'm very curious how you gonna do that!

That's the easy part (sort of). You just multiply all points
with an apropriate rotation matrix and ignores one coordinate.
(okay - and then there is a lot of "what's on top" questions)

Ha, you said it your self; in 3D it is not a question of what you place when
but where, in PostScript it is the other way around. I afraid you'll get
very Dali/Picasso like postscript-files. You even have to mind the
part-dat-files and primitives, cos backs can become fronts in PS very easy...

Also, how you gonna fix the transparant part problem?

The only solution I have been able to come up with is to use a
two-step approach, where you have an intermediate buffer for
handling transparency issues. This could for example be a
SVG[1] file, since SVG handles transparency and is likely to
have a Postscript renderer. The only problem is that SVG seems
to be covered by at least two patents. And it shouldn't be
that difficult to write transparency handling code yourself.

Ha again! SVG is no Postscript. SVG is for screens while PS is for a
printers; you can do things on your computerscreen that you simple can't do
with PS-vector information...

Again I'm very exicted and can't wait to download the beat.

PS. When I tried to programm a converter myself I used POV to PS instead of
DAT to PS, POV uses some intresting methods (some even PS-like) in their files!