 CAD / Development / 6010
Re: Whats the difference between 6218 and 6259 ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:31:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:

In the main, I think they really are part numbers, considering the total
number of parts there are very few exceptions, which I think can be explained
by
1) some technical need for separate moulds for clear vs. opaque parts
2) TLC allocating a new part number to a previous part for other reasons we
cannot guess (poor memory, technical change not visible in the finished part,
other inventory management problems).

Another thing to keep in mind: we're seeing the results of a system
changing over time.  It appears that TLC has changed its part-numbering
strategy at least twice over the years, with some other minor adjustments
occuring along the way.

I think you only have to look at a selection of common parts (eg. 2x2 plates)
through the years to see that there are several generations of mould, because
there are clear differences in the typeface and position of the "3022" text.

And the wall-thickness, and the various supporting ribs, etc., etc.

Clearly TLC do not (did not) allocate a new number each time they make a new
mould.

Right.

Steve