 CAD / Development / 6004
Re: Whats the difference between 6218 and 6259 ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:52:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:

I think we should have a dat file for each number, so that if you read the
part number from the part it is obvious whether or not a .dat file exists).
One just needs to be a type 1 command to the other file.

Right.  I'd rather have one file be a standard part file, and the other be
a "shortcut" type file, meaning that the part name would be prepended with
an underscore.

I think we should *not* declare either the opaque or the transparent
numbers to be "standard".  I think we should instead just indicate, via a
comment in the file, that the number was found on trans or opaque parts.
My reasoning is that we might have either the transparent number or the
opaque number first, and we shouldn't have to use a 3-digit number for the
base-part-file, just because the known number is the wrong type.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ray Sanders writes:
Heres another data point for the list...

'Hinge Panel 2 x 4 x 3 & 1/3' which partsref lists as 2582, a trans-green
piece has 6139 as the mould number. Oddly, a light-grey part (from Gungan
Sub) has no visible mould number on it.

A similar part is the 4x4 radar dish.  Some of the Explorien sets had 4x4
dishes in multiple transparent colors.  In one set, some of the dishes are
30065, and others are 3960.  But the new Star Wars TIE Fighter set has a
light gray 4x4 dish with *no* number.

Another difference between these parts, the trans-green piece (from 6180, p/n
6139) has a smooth/gloss surface on the 45-deg angle, while the light-grey
piece (from 7161, assumed to be p/n 2582) has a matte finish on the 45-deg angle.

(the lt-gray piece is probably *not* 2582, but that's a guess)

So, IMHO this makes them different parts, although at present the DAT file
language does not have the capability to define textured surfaces.

Right.  They *should* both be recorded.  For now, maybe as a shortcut file,
but eventually with the mythical 0 TEXTURE meta-statement in the
matte-surface version.

But, if we're making a catalog, 2507 - Windscreen 10 x  4 x  2 & 1/3 Canopy is
30058 in clear - both parts found in set 6155.

Hmmm, interesting.  The 7191 UCS X-Wing has one of these in light gray.
It's also number 30058.

Maybe the lack of connections on this part (no studs, no enclosed
anti-studs, the only hard connections are finger-hinges) that it has low
tolerances that allow TLC to use a single mold?

The 2507/30058 numbers (and a number of other 4-digit/5-digit duplications)
are probably due to TLC switching part numbering schemes, and later having
to create a new mold to replace worn-out molds.

If we want to start tracking when numbers are found on opaque or
transparent pieces, let's be careful about jumping to conclusions.  Unless
we find the same number on both trans and opaque pieces, we can't say
anything *for certain* about the numbers and how LEGO uses them.

Steve