 CAD / Development / 5843
Re: Line Thickness and Antialiasing in LdGLite 0.7.3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
Very cool!  I noticed two things, which could be considered problems.  One
is straight-forward, the other is not so.

The first thing is that using the -ms commandline option doesn't save any
images if there are no 0 STEP commands in the file.  I was testing with a
part file, not a model.  I assume that if a DAT contained drawing commands
after the last 0 STEP, those final drawing commands wouldn't be saved to an
image, either.

Using antialiasing with the line-width (-q and -w2), it seemed like the
rendered lines were slightly offset from the surfaces.  I haven't done
extensive testing on this issue, I'll post more when I do.

Yes, more details would help.  For instance, which direction is the offset:
Forward, Up, Down, left, right?  I'll have to try it out myself some more.
If I remember correctly, I think I may have gotten better results with
non-whole number widths.  This may all be driver dependent though.

Now, is there a way to do a rendering that creates an image file, without
rendering on the screen?

Not really, but it is on my short list for the next release.  I just found
a tile based rendering library for opengl that seems to do exactly that.
And it looks like it's portable.  If you had to, you could do it now with
the loopback X window server, but I think we already went over that idea
a while ago.

Don