 CAD / Development / 5594
Re: File Naming Protocol for Patterned Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:11:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain writes:
Steve, et al.,

With regards to this thread:
"http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=5448&t=f&v=a"

Did we ever decide on just what we're gonna do?
Are we still discussing (off-list)?
Appealed to the Secret Masters at Illuminati HQ?

Just wondering...

Thanks,
Franklin

=====
Franklin Cain (and please do *not* call me "Frank" ;-)
fwcain@yahoo.com | http://fcain.tripod.com/
USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF MY EMAIL ADDRESS FOR UNSOLICITED
COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (I.E., SPAM) IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Rather than the suggestion of using alpha characters, in the "pattern number",
have we considered allowing other characters in the sixth position - so we
allow nnnnnp00-nnnnnp99 nnnnnq00-nnnnnq99, nnnnnr00-nnnnnr99, etc as valid
patterned part file names?

At some point in the future we may discover the real part number for the
blank torso part, so maybe we should change 973p101 to 973q01, and make a moved
to file, before we approve the excellent batch of new SW torsos coming through
as qxx numbers.

Taking this a step further, and to pick up on something I floated some time
back, perhaps we could use the alpha character to denote the "theme".

Thus town torsos could be 973t00-973t99, castle 973c00-973c99, etc. To retain
backward compatibility, we could replace the existing pxx parts with movedto
files to the new taxonomy. There is probably some cross-over, so maybe "g"
could be reserved for "general". This would give us some room for growth, and
for the larger categories, maybe two letters could be allocated.

Since this question first arose for patterned versions of 3626b, what is the
general opinion on ensuring match-up between the pattern and the variant of the
part (for example, there are two head variants and three torso variants).
Should we have a classic smiley on 3626 and 3626b ?

Chris