 CAD / Development / 5598
Re: File Naming Protocol for Patterned Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:50:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
Forward: I'd rather stick with using P as the patterned-element designator.
Add letters to the suffix, to allow up to 1296 patterns per part.  If this
is not enough, then define another letter-designator in addition to the P.
If we get 1500 patterns for a single element, we've got bigger problems
than the part-number suffix.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:

Rather than the suggestion of using alpha characters, in the "pattern • number",
have we considered allowing other characters in the sixth position - so we
allow nnnnnp00-nnnnnp99 nnnnnq00-nnnnnq99, nnnnnr00-nnnnnr99, etc as valid
patterned part file names?

I think using a number of different letters as an indication of
pattern-parts could be confusing.

There are already a number of different suffixing-schemes in use in the
parts library:

- Different parts (or variations of a part) which use the same number.
(suffixes: a, b, c, ...) (example: 3626b.dat)
- Complete Assembly Shortcuts
(suffixes: c01, c02, ...) (example: 32181c01.dat)
- Parts which are delivered (from TLC) on a 'sprue'.  The part number
applies to the entire assemblage, we add a suffix to differentiate the
subparts.
(suffixes: a, b, c, ...) (example: 6246a.dat)
- Patterned parts.
(suffixes: p01, p02, ...) (example: 973p01.dat)
- Component parts of an assembly (this is obsolete usage, but instances
still exist).
(suffixes: a, b, c, ...) (example: 103a.dat)

So there are already a number of suffix-letters in use, and a good number
of parts which take exception to the rules.  Using a number of different
letters as an indication of pattern-parts could be confusing.  Well, more
confusing.

One advantage of using multiple letters in the sixth position is that it
would allow many more patterned parts.  Using pXX (X is any letter or
numeral), allows 1296 patterned versions of a single part.  Using XYY (X is
a letter, Y is a numeral), allows 2600 patterns per part.

OK - point taken - and based on this well-reasoned argument I am happy to go
with the pXX nomenclature.

I feel a little uneasy about the possible conflict between the first and third
usages - with the benefit of hindsight might 3626v2 have been a better name?
Also how much work is required to get rid of the fifth usage?

As I mentioned above, the ppppCxx name-format is already used for CAS
files.

Good point and something which I suspect will grow to make life easier for LCAD
users (as distinct from authors). Personally I'd like to see more standard
minifig shortcuts - with arms and hands orientated to hold accessories
correctly.

Since this question first arose for patterned versions of 3626b, what is the
general opinion on ensuring match-up between the pattern and the variant of
the part (for example, there are two head variants and three torso
variants).

Three torso variants?  Do you mean the variation in neck-stripe colors, or
something else?

Variation in the ribs inside the torso which ensure the legs don't fall off
a) no ribs
b) 4 triangular section ribs
c) an x-pattern of ribs

Yes, part-authors should be careful to put the pattern on the right
variation of the part.

Well - I have definitely NOT done this for torsos, because IIRC only type b)
exists ( so maybe I should make the others !!). But do we really want the
decorated torsos under three different non-TLC part numbers?

Chris