 CAD / Development / 5061
5060  |  5062
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: *** LDView v0.7 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:09:42 GMT

Thanks for the feedback.

"Paul Easter" <pneaster@knoxy.net> wrote in message
I have a Diamond Monster Voodoo2. The program works great in a normal • windowed
mode. It may be running through my normal AGP(S3 Virge Gx2). The full • screen
feature crashed the program, with no noticable problems with • Windows(98se). It
gave me an error about not being able to initalize the OpenGL drivers, or • mode
or something.  I was sitting looking at a grey screen until I pressed ESC.
then my normal desktop was restored.

Hmmm...  Unfortunately, the Voodoo1/2 are probably going to be the hardest
to fix fullscreen bugs on, due to their unique architecture.  Just out of
curiosity, do you have the latest drivers installed?

Any other comments suggestions are also welcomed.
I have noticed some black quads, or triangles on one of my parts in the
current update vote. 30201.dat, bottom surface, you might check it out • too. It
doesn't show up like that anywhere else.
I have noticed some primitives showing up as a different shade. I
have "Enabled, High quality, Specular highlight, Lines-Draw edges, • Lines-High
quality, and misc-high quality studs" turned on. Let me know if I need to • send
you a picture of this.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I tracked down the cause of the problem; the part
is doing something I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression was a
no-no: those black sections are concave quads.  Turn off lighting and you
will see that they are actually drawing the proper color, but the lighting
gets so messed up by their concavity that it comes out black.  Anybody else
know whether this is kosher?  I haven't seen it happen on any other parts.
I tracked down one of these quads; it's the following line:

4 16 -18 56 120 -24.4 51.6 127.7 -25.7 52.3 125.8 -27.7 52.6 124.4

Whether or not it's actually legit, I'll add code to split such quads into
two triangles.  As it turns out, I already detect the problem, I just don't
do anything about it when I encounter it, so fixing it shouldn't be too
hard.

Looking at that part in detail, I discovered another bug in my color
handling which causes it to display some portions of the part in the wrong
color when you turn on edge drawing.  It's especially obvious if you then
turn off lighting.  I'll have to look into that too.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)