 CAD / Development / 5086
Re: *** LDView v0.7 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:12:34 GMT

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Travis Cobbs wrote:

"Paul Easter" <pneaster@knoxy.net> wrote in message
[...SNIP...]
Leave it to me to do a no-no... :-)  I had alot of trouble calulating the • Y
coordinates on that part. I have been working on a spreadsheet that will
hopefully help me with that. I think I have the spreadsheet about done.

Well, as I said, I'm not sure it's a no-no; either way the next version of
LDView should display them as you intended them to be displayed.  I got the
split code working for the simple case (points are in order around the quad
1-2-3-4).  I'm not sure whether I'll bother to correct the other cases
(points criss-cross 1-3-2-4, 1-2-4-3, etc.).  You might be interested to
know, though, that I'm almost positive that at least the quad I listed above
is not quite planar.  The two triangles I generate are at SLIGHTLY different
angles (probably less than 1 degree difference, but it is visible if you
look carefully).

Well, for usability sake, we should correct what we can, but this is a
dangerous feature, if we don't issue at least some warnings about it. Because
this will lead the authors to get sloppy (please don't take me wrong here, its a
Human factor) and even worse, if the autocorrecting software is used to check
parts for voting, then a lot of errors may get by us, without beeing detected.

Your part looks really good, I think.  And, other parts do things that I
really feel they shouldn't.  Take 3046: the two sloped triangles are modeled
as quads with two of the points in each quad being equal.

Well, that is really an ERROR, and it should be noted as such.

See ya
Rui Martins