 CAD / Development / 5081
Re: *** LDView v0.7 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 06:08:20 GMT

"Paul Easter" <pneaster@knoxy.net> wrote in message
news:G070Ks.Er5@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:
Thanks for the heads-up.  I tracked down the cause of the problem; the • part
is doing something I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression was a
no-no: those black sections are concave quads.  Turn off lighting and you
will see that they are actually drawing the proper color, but the • lighting
gets so messed up by their concavity that it comes out black.  Anybody • else
know whether this is kosher?  I haven't seen it happen on any other • parts.
I tracked down one of these quads; it's the following line:

4 16 -18 56 120 -24.4 51.6 127.7 -25.7 52.3 125.8 -27.7 52.6 124.4

Whether or not it's actually legit, I'll add code to split such quads • into
two triangles.  As it turns out, I already detect the problem, I just • don't
do anything about it when I encounter it, so fixing it shouldn't be too
hard.

Leave it to me to do a no-no... :-)  I had alot of trouble calulating the • Y
coordinates on that part. I have been working on a spreadsheet that will
hopefully help me with that. I think I have the spreadsheet about done.

Well, as I said, I'm not sure it's a no-no; either way the next version of
LDView should display them as you intended them to be displayed.  I got the
split code working for the simple case (points are in order around the quad
1-2-3-4).  I'm not sure whether I'll bother to correct the other cases
(points criss-cross 1-3-2-4, 1-2-4-3, etc.).  You might be interested to
know, though, that I'm almost positive that at least the quad I listed above
is not quite planar.  The two triangles I generate are at SLIGHTLY different
angles (probably less than 1 degree difference, but it is visible if you
look carefully).

Your part looks really good, I think.  And, other parts do things that I
really feel they shouldn't.  Take 3046: the two sloped triangles are modeled
as quads with two of the points in each quad being equal.

Looking at that part in detail, I discovered another bug in my color
handling which causes it to display some portions of the part in the • wrong
color when you turn on edge drawing.  It's especially obvious if you then
turn off lighting.  I'll have to look into that too.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

There are a couple of triangles on the bottom outer surface near the 2x2 • brick
hole that need to have thier y axis' adjusted. They stand out like a sore
thumb. :-) Hopefully I can get those fixes made before the update is • prepared
for release.

I notice you got the similar region on the top surface right.  And, while it
would be nice for the official version to be perfect, I'd have to say that
the version up for voting is pretty dang close.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)