 CAD / Development / 4922
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2) (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:57:31 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Tim Courtney wrote:
Rui Martins wrote in message ...
There is no reason, at least from my point of view, to have 2 or more
different systems to control downloading/updating of software/files, since
it >all boils down to files.

I really don't get what you're saying.  One was a previous idea for parts,
which is what I told you.  It was discussed, but I never told you in my
email that we were *going* to do it.

What I mean, and also what I tought others ment too, is that a download tool is
usefull to download files (within a Directory and eventually under its subtree),
if the files represent software programs or *.dat files or whatever, it should
be complettly transparent to the download tool, since it only works with files.
A genereic Download tool should work like this IMO.

We just need to supply a base URL for each module (either a software tool
or a parts library)

[...SNIP...]

The download/update tool would be given the base location, and the local • (in >one of our hardrives) location, and then would process the "difference"
between the two, and allow the user to select from the "needs updating"
file >group, which ones to actually download.

So what are you proposing?  Your explanations are rather confusing on what
you're getting to.

I will try to make it clearer !

Where I understand this being is Mike talking about an MLCad download tool
within his InstallShield program to install the software.
All it was going to do was download the current parts.

Well, by the E-mails I have read, it looked to me, that we where discussing a
general tool, which could be used by ldraw.org and several (ldraw) software
developers to maintain the current version up to date and easylly available to
users.

If this concept has expanded to an auto-download manager sort of utility
which links to the website, it was not made clear in anything I read.  Is
this what you're referring to?

I look like it, yes !

IMO, we don't need multiple domain names for this type of software.

Each software developer may want to provide a home (website) for their software !

It all works with the same file system and format,

if we are using the HTTP header, this shouldn't be a problem !

it would be 1) confusing to the user

Why ?

and 2) an unnecessary duplication of efforts.

Where ?
in maintaining several sites with different software ?

This is already beeing done !
And if we don't need to mess with the server setup (regular HTTP), then its
even easyer (like a download directory).

But, I don't intent to force any Ldraw users/developers to make this GENERIC
software "download tool" that I am talking about.

If there isn't a consensus, then I will research this GENERIC tool myself. It
may be very usefull in other contexts.

I'm even confident, that we were not the first to think about this, and that
the GENERIC tool, may already exist, and be able to be adapted to our needs.

See ya
Rui Martins