 CAD / Development / 4924
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:39:43 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Tim Courtney wrote:
[...SNIP...]
IMO, we don't need multiple domain names for this type of software.
Each software developer may want to provide a home (website) for their
software !

It all works with the same file system and format,

if we are using the HTTP header, this shouldn't be a problem !

I'm not understanding.

I'm speaking about a technicallity, the HTTP protocol, sometimes known as the
web protocol. (see any URL, ex: HTTP:\\www.ldraw.org)

[...SNIP...]
in maintaining several sites with different software ?

This is already beeing done !

I realize that.  I'm talking about large websites with their own domains.  The
whole reason for ldraw.org is a site to be central to the DAT file format, and
supporting whatever software which is developed (with the intent of modelling
Lego) which utilizes it.

I absolutly agree !

I'd ask you to please tone down your future replies
as well.

I never ment to SHOUT ?
I don't know why, but it appears that here at lugnet, from time to time, there
is always someone which finds my reply over Tone.
Is it Me ?
English is Not My mother language, am I not expresing correctly ?
Or are people to touchy ?
What I have I said to be considered annoying or something else ?

I sincerelly haven't written anything with such pretense !

May I remind you that you did post a private email discussion
without the concent of both parties, also something that I consider to be
improper netiquette.

Well, Not trying to start a flame war here, but Only posted a forward of
paragraph, which I tought was interesting to the group. Also Only after sending
you the E-mail, did I find out that I was Not replying to the group, but to you
directly, so I resent it to the the lugnet.

Also, Personal E-Mails are considered "personal", (at least by me), when I
addressed someone on the post or issued the mail directly to his/her
E-mail address only.

[FLAME MODE ON]

  Because if People use the "personal" e-mail to flame or make any comments
which they tought weren't correct for the list, then they aren't correct to
send personally also, IMO.
   And finally, if I say something publically that someone doesn't like, I
expect that someone to say it publically and Not privatly.
   Maybe then I can start to understand which part of my replys are so annoying.

[FLAME MODE OFF]

And if we don't need to mess with the server setup (regular HTTP), then its
even easyer (like a download directory).

What does this have to do with multiple sites/servers?  This would seem to
argue _against_ your proposal of spreading things out - because there would be
multiple servers to set up, if I'm understanding that phrase right.

What I mean is:
  If to support or be compatible with the Download/Update tool, we just have to
provide and URL to a directory (like "HTTP:\\www.ldraw.org\download") then,
anyone can have a site without worrying about it, because it's as simple as
having a web page.

I hope I explained my self right, this time.

But, I don't intent to force any Ldraw users/developers to make this GENERIC
software "download tool" that I am talking about.

In all sincerity, you are coming off that way from my perspective.

Sorry If that was the impression, but if I really think that it is a better
solution, I'll obviously try to convince others about it, so that we can all
share it (for the better, but I won't force, or try to force my Ideias to
others, I will only try to convince others why I think it is a better solution.

Maybe I get carried away sometimes, but I think this hasn't been the case here.

The idea in and of itself is a good one, but the methods of discussion aren't
the greatest, IMO.

Well, could you please, point out exactly what wasn't so "great".
I' really interested in knowing it ! and I'm serious about it.

Ofcourse I would like a public reply, if you don't mind, so that I can later
reply publicly, ok Tim (and others also ofcourse).
Thanks.

It would be great if something like this came about, but it would require a
lot of work for a lot of people.

Maybe it's just about in the next corner.

I will Look into it further.
I' ll be in touch.

See ya
Rui Martins