 CAD / Development / 4925
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:23:26 GMT

Rui Martins wrote in message ...
I'm speaking about a technicallity, the HTTP protocol, sometimes known as • the
web protocol. (see any URL, ex: HTTP:\\www.ldraw.org)

Ok.  I'm not saying it would be a problem, but it would be unnecessary.  I
feel strongly about a central place to download resources for all
DAT-compatible software.  Just at this moment, the necessary automated stuff
to actually make that feasible and not to need to spend extensive amounts of
time preparing such a resource are not in place.

I'd ask you to please tone down your future replies
as well.

I never ment to SHOUT ?
I don't know why, but it appears that here at lugnet, from time to time,
there is always someone which finds my reply over Tone.
Is it Me ?
English is Not My mother language, am I not expresing correctly ?
Or are people to touchy ?
What I have I said to be considered annoying or something else ?

I believe its the use of exclamation points over a lot of your statements.
It really is considered proper to use a simple period for most of what you
are saying.  The repeated use of the exclamation points gives an appearance
of shouting, yes.  I also understand that English isn't your first language,
and have been trying to understand what you are saying and be patient.  It
doesn't always work though.  The combination of being confused and the
exclamation points did slightly irritate me, though.

I sincerelly haven't written anything with such pretense !

Ok, I understand.

Well, Not trying to start a flame war here, but Only posted a forward of
paragraph, which I tought was interesting to the group. Also Only after
sending you the E-mail, did I find out that I was Not replying to the
group, >but to you directly, so I resent it to the the lugnet.

Though seemingly harmless, we were having a private discussion which I
perceived to continue to be a private discussion.  If you wanted to
introduce it to the group, all you would have needed to do was ask me if
that was ok.  I would extend the same courtesy to anyone else I was talking
to.

That is, quoting exact words.  I think for the most part its ok to
paraphrase discussions in a post designed to bring about further discussion.

[FLAME MODE ON]

Because if People use the "personal" e-mail to flame or make any comments
which they tought weren't correct for the list, then they aren't correct • to
send personally also, IMO.

So, you are in essence saying that no one can write an angered email or post
towards anyone for any reason?  That's bull.

  And finally, if I say something publically that someone doesn't like, I
expect that someone to say it publically and Not privatly.

Which I did, in my last reply to you.  That was public, not private.  It did
post here to the group.

  Maybe then I can start to understand which part of my replys are so
annoying.

If what you are saying about others on Lugnet becoming annoyed as well is
true, then its a communication difference.  Not necessarily a problem, but a
difference in communication styles.  That isn't really your fault, and its
not really the other person's fault.  Its a point that both ends need to
work on being clear and trying to present themselves so the other person can
understand.  And the other person needs to work on being understanding as
well.

What I mean is:
If to support or be compatible with the Download/Update tool, we just • have >to
provide and URL to a directory (like "HTTP:\\www.ldraw.org\download") then,
anyone can have a site without worrying about it, because it's as simple as
having a web page.

I hope I explained my self right, this time.

I think you did.  I'm understanding that you're saying that such a download
tool can link to download something from anyone's page, provided they have a
correct URL.

What I'd like to see is such a download tool being used in conjunction with
www.ldraw.org to get the information from _there_.  Not saying that
ldraw.org cannot get its information from other sites (which it does, and
currently links to a few other sites for more updated downloads).  But I am
saying that for this system of Lego CAD software, I would like to see stuff
move to a more central location, rather than diverge.

Currently, I'm working on some download and install pages for the site, to
make it clearer for new users, especially the ones who want to use MLCad.  I
feel that people will like the changes.  I won't be able to get a lot of
work done on this today.  I'm recovering from oral surgery right now (wisdom
teeth pulled this morning).  Its all I can do really to make a few Lugnet
and email replies right now, but oh well.  Maybe this evening I can make
some headway.  And I'd like to figure out how to put up samples to be
reviewed before going live with them.

Sorry If that was the impression, but if I really think that it is a • better
solution, I'll obviously try to convince others about it, so that we can • all
share it (for the better, but I won't force, or try to force my Ideias to
others, I will only try to convince others why I think it is a better
solution.

Right.  I agree its a better solution.  You have to understand that my first
misconception was what you were talking about was different than what the
group was talking about, originally.  We *can* talk about this though, it is
a Good Thing.

Maybe I get carried away sometimes, but I think this hasn't been the case
here.

Maybe, maybe not.  I'd just like to ask you to try to be clearer on the
subject matter (to make sure everyone is on the same wavelength) in the
future.

The idea in and of itself is a good one, but the methods of discussion • aren't
the greatest, IMO.

Well, could you please, point out exactly what wasn't so "great".
I' really interested in knowing it ! and I'm serious about it.

My thoughts were the mannerisms (or my interpretation of the mannerisms) you
went about trying to discuss it.  I don't know if anyone else had these
perceptions or not, because they have not replied to it.  That's all.

Ofcourse I would like a public reply, if you don't mind, so that I can • later
reply publicly, ok Tim (and others also ofcourse).
Thanks.

No problem.  I agree that public discussion of matters is good for the
advancement of the group.

I see no need to contact you privately about this, because it really isn't a
personal matter.  If it were a personal matter, I'd feel that discussion of
that nature is more suited for personal email.  No need for others to get
involved in personal issues between two people, and no need for people to
show those sides of themselves to the group, especially when it can become
detrimental.

Maybe it's just about in the next corner.

Hopefully it is.

I can say that for the most part, I can put a good effort into the progress
of the website before I go to college in about a month.  I have another
website project to work on, but that won't take all of the time I have
either.  I just got done with work - but may be called back if another
operation comes up (US Census).  So, I do have time to put forth on this,
and from what I've done so far, we are making progress.

Thanks for being so concerned, and looking into this matter.

-Tim