 CAD / Development / 4919
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2) (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:26:29 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Tim Courtney wrote:
What about the other ideia of "on the fly" compression of the files to be
downloaded, or just getting a pre compressed file in place.

That's a previous idea, for a separate system of parts-on-request
downloading (users requesting specific parts).  This is concerning
downloading the libraries for current software offered.

There is no reason, at least from my point of view, to have 2 or more different
systems to control downloading/updating of software/files, since it all boils
down to files.

We just need to supply a base URL for each module (either a software tool or a
parts library)

For example(hipotetically):

http:\\www.ldraw.org\downloads\Ldraw
http:\\www.ML-CAD.org\download\ML-CAD
http:\\www.LView.org\my\download\LView

etc... (warning: all the above URLs are fake, made up my me just now !)

The download/update tool would be given the base location, and the local (in one
of our hardrives) location, and then would process the "difference" between the
two, and allow the user to select from the "needs updating" file group, which
ones to actually download.

See ya
Rui Martins